Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Amazon Dash

Have you seen these yet?  


The Amazon Dash is a tiny, product-specific device that you use to reorder household products when--and where--you run out of them.  Each Dash costs $4.99. The example on the Amazon site that resonated for me was to put a Tide laundry detergent Dash on your washing machine (see above image).

My first reaction was, "This is very cool."  

My second reaction was a visual of little product icons all over my house. That didn't strike me as cool.  

The luxury marketplace is already dealing with a rising aversion to logos on handbags and apparel.  The idea of populating homes with brand icons seems a bit backwards.

So, as a focus group of one, my take on this is:
  • I like the idea of a device that lets me reorder a product I use frequently when and where I realize I have run out of it.
  • I don't like the idea of having lots of branded devices all over the house.
  • I don't like the idea of paying for a re-order device. That's all it does, it allows you to reorder the product.  Shouldn't the marketer of the product pay for that?
  • I wonder if Amazon will create a device that is a panel view of popular products that I can add to and delete from.  I wouldn't mind putting a device in the kitchen and the master bath--the places I'm most likely to realize we're running out of household products.  I've already got the name for it:  the Dashboard!


No comments:

Post a Comment